[sbml-discuss] Entelos patent on simulations

Upinder S. Bhalla bhalla at ncbs.res.in
Sun Apr 30 09:28:08 PDT 2006

The simulator GENESIS released in the mid eighties seems to cover most of
the points below. I am sure earlier simulators did the same general
things.

Not that we considered that any of this was remarkable - it was all quite
obvious. But from what I have heard, it is much harder to fight a patent
on grounds of obviousness than on grounds of prior art. And from what I
have heard, both are extremely expensive.

1, 2: GENESIS ran in and with UNIX, and handled system calls nicely.
3: GENESIS simulates neural networks
19, 20, 21: All standard stuff in GENESIS

s/GENESIS/NEURON/g  and it would all still hold.

-- Upi Bhalla