[sbml-discuss] Need of a Tool Box

Howard M. Salis salis at cems.umn.edu
Wed Sep 22 09:23:11 PDT 2004

Hello Mahesh,

I have been thinking about a similar problem: Given a diagram of some
metabolic or signal transduction pathway or a gene to be expressed, is it
possible to automate the process of deconstructing that diagram into a
system of bio/chemical reactions with all of the accompanying data needed
to simulate the system (ie. kinetic constants, rate laws, diffusivities,
etc). For example, most gene expression may be deconstructed into a
well-conserved system of reactions where most of the kinetics remain
 (more or less) constant from gene to gene. Is this possible for other
biological processes?

Most simulators require the system of reactions to encompass all
significant transitions from one state of the system to another, where the
state is defined by the numbers (or concentration) of all unique
(and important) chemical species. So, the first step would be to define
all the important unique chemical species in the diagram and describe all
of the interactions between each pair of unique chemical species. The
second step may be to quantitatively describe how fast each interaction
takes place, including the rate law (elementary reaction or some sort of
approximate one, like Michaelis Menten) and the kinetic constants. Then
you have to worry about initial conditions.

It'll be a very information-intensive process, but hopefully that
information will be available in the future.

A portion of this problem is mainly a problem of convienance. If you have
all of the information handy, you can always deconstruct the diagram
yourself. But what happens if there's 2000 genes, 400 signalling pathways,
and 15,000 metabolic pathways that you want to model. Even if you had the
information, it would be counter-productive to fully describe the system
by "hand".

-Howard Salis
Dept. Chemical Engineering & Materials Science
University of Minnesota